Body Roundness Index (BRI) is an innovative health metric that can provide genuine insight based on a few quick measurements. The calculator below helps determine the roundness of your body shape from your height, waist and hip circumference. The displayed graph then shows your body shape (in black) alongside a reference body shape covering the healthy range (in green). The estimated body fat percentage and visceral adipose tissue (belly fat) are also shown.
The BRI ranges between 1 to 20 (1 = narrow body, 20 = more round). The BRI outputs a graph of body shape with reference to a healthy zone. The BRI was found to correlate well with measurements taken by Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis. [1,2] The BRI is able to determine the presence of cardiovascular disease and diabetes but not superior to BMI, waist circumference or waist-to-height ratio. [4,6,7] However, the BRI was found to be superior to the BMI and is an alternative index for assessing diabetes in people in Northeast China.  BRI was also found to predict coronary heart disease risk in Chinese males and females. 
- Thomas et al. Relationships between body roundness with body fat and visceral adipose tissue emerging from a new geometrical model. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 November; 21(11): 2264–2271.
- Gallagher et al. Healthy percentage body fat ranges: an approach for developing guidelines based on body mass index. Am J Clin Nutr, 2000.72(3):694–701.
- Wang et al. New anthropometric indices or old ones: which perform better in estimating cardiovascular risks in Chinese adults. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders. (2018) 18:14.
- Maessen MFH, Eijsvogels TMH, Verheggen RJHM, Hopman MTE, Verbeek ALM, et al. Entering a New Era of Body Indices: The Feasibility of a Body Shape Index and Body Roundness Index to Identify Cardiovascular Health Status. (2014) PLoS ONE 9(9): e107212. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0107212.
- Zhao et al. Capacity of a body shape index and body roundness index to identify diabetes mellitus in Han Chinese people in Northeast China: a cross- sectional study Diabet. Med. (2018) 35, 1580–1587.
- hang Y, Guo X, Chen Y, Guo L, Li Z, Yu S et al. A body shape index and body roundness index: two new body indices to identify diabetes mellitus among rural populations in northeast China. BMC Public Health 2015; 15:794.
- Feng et al. Body Adiposity Index and Body Roundness Index in Identifying Insulin Resistance Among Adults Without Diabetes. Am J Med Sci 2019;357(2):116−123.